The season may be drawing to a close, but there is still plenty happening on Cape Cod. While stores may have begun to sell back-to-school gear, most people are getting in as much beach time and enjoyment as they possibly can before reality sets back in after Labor Day.
If you are visiting Cape Cod with your family, now is definitely a great time to take advantage of some of the fun summer activities available to children. Here are some wonderful upcoming shows on the Cape to check out before fall arrives!
1. Harwich Junior Theatre. HJT is a delightful venue located in West Harwich. Year after year, they put on spectacular shows that really engage the crowd and get kids excited about going out to the theatre.
Catch some of their performances before the summer is through!
The Neverending Story is running Tuesday through Thursday at 7pm and Friday through Sunday at 4pm up until August 24. This is a great tale that many might be familiar with either from the book or the classic movie.
The Stinky Cheese Man is holding Tuesday and Thursday morning matinees at 11am until August 21. This is a hilarious and irreverent take on classic fairy tales that will have adults and children alike clutching their sides.
Always...Patsy Cline is a collection of 27 songs from the talented artist herself. This musical tribute is quite fun and it will introduce the whole family to the work of the talented singer! This show runs through September 21. Show times are Friday and Saturday evenings at 8pm (August 22 and 23, 29 and 30) as well as a Sunday Matinee on August 31 at 4pm, and then in September, the show will be running on Friday and Saturday evenings at 7:30pm from the 5th through the 21st, with Sunday matinees at 4pm.
Ticket prices range from $20-$25 for adults and $15 for youth under 21. For more ticketing info, click here.
HJT is located at 105 Division Street in Harwich, 508-432-2002.
2. Cape Rep Theatre. Another fantastic venue for children’s programs is the Cape Rep Theatre in Brewster. Currently, there are 3 shows running in their outdoor children’s theatre.
You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown runs Mondays and Tuesdays at 10am through August 26. Tickets are $10 to come see this delightful adventure of Snoopy and the Gang. It is recommended to get to the show ½ an hour before hand to select seating.
Lyle, the Crocodile runs Wednesdays and Thursdays at 10am through August 28. This play is based on the book Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile and it wins the hearts of the children in the audience. Tickets are $10 and it is recommended to get to the show a ½ an hour early to select seating.
Pitter Patter Puppets is loads of fun for small children and it runs on Fridays at 10am through August 22. Tickets are $8 and it is recommended to get to the show with a ½ an hour to spare to select seating.
Cape Rep is located at 3299 Main Street in Brewster, 508-896-1888.
3. The Cape Playhouse. This theatre – known as where “Broadway goes to Summer” – has a great kids program in the summer.
On August 21, catch Mr. Fish’s Super Circus Stuff with performances at 9:30am and 11:30am. Children will delight at the amazing skills and clever routines.
On August 22, parents and children alike can come and take in Bubblegum Pop for Sweet Kids Concert with performances at 9:30am and 11:30am. This is a high energy show that will have kids rapt with attention.
The Cape Playhouse is located at 820 on Route 6A in Dennis, 877-385-3911.
4. WHAT. The Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theater puts on great performances and they are for all ages! Before the summer is over, come see WHAT 4 Kids put on The Surfside Snoops and the Ghost of Great Island. This fun loving play runs Monday through Thursday at 7:30pm through August 28. Tickets are $10.
WHAT is located at 2357 Old Route 6 Road in Wellfleet, 508-349-9428.
5. The Academy of Performing Arts. Another great venue for theatre, the APA in Orleans puts on great shows for young and old alike. Before summer is through, be sure to catch a performance of The Little Mermaid which runs on Fridays and Saturdays at 10am through August 30. Tickets are $10. Call 508-255-1963 to reach the box office.
The Academy of Performing Arts is located at 120 Main Street in Orleans, 508-255-1963.
6. Heritage Museums and Gardens. Known mostly for their museums and beautifully manicured grounds, Heritage also puts on a children’s program on Fridays!
The Family Fun Fridays are ongoing through August 29. The day consists of a musical performance on the outdoor stage at 11am, as well as special family activities, lawn games, and all the other joys of Heritage. The events are free with admission.
Heritage is located at 67 Grove Street in Sandwich, 508-888-3300.
7. Library Events. Of course, there are plenty of great events at the local libraries on Cape Cod. Click on the following links for more information about libraries on the Upper Cape, the Lower and Outer Cape, the Mid Cape, and Brooks Free Library.
Trevor the Juggler performs Wednesday through Friday at 9:30am and also has a performance on Wednesday nights at 7pm. The show opens with a sing-along and is loads of fun.
The Tanglewood Marionettes perform different children’s tales on Mondays and Tuesdays at 10am.
Both shows are $8 for tickets. Kids under 2 are free.
First Parish is located at 1969 Main Street in Brewster, 508-896-5790.