When it comes to ice cream, the Cape has it covered. While you can still find chains that sell the treat, the Cape has far more places that concoct their own delicious ice cream and have some of the best flavors around. If you want to avoid the stuff you could get anywhere and instead go for a real delicacy, then check out some of these wonderful Cape Cod ice cream shops!
The ice cream and frozen yogurts are made on-site and the evidence is in the flavor.
In addition to simple ice cream treats, you can get more complex with some of their other delicious and intriguing menu items.
Also, if you are looking for a tasty treat that is dairy-free, gluten-free, or vegan, the ICC has plenty to offer, including homemade non-dairy ice creams and soft serve made with coconut or soy. They also have a “soft serve” by Chloe’s which consists of fruit, water, and a bit of cane sugar.
Unlike many other ice cream shops on the Cape and Islands, the ICC accepts credit cards.
The Ice Cream Café is located at 5 South Orleans Road in Orleans, 508-240-0003.
2. Sundae School, Harwich, Dennis & Orleans: Having operated since 1976 (they have expanded quite a bit), Sundae School has been delighting visitors and locals alike for generations.
Sundae School prides themselves on using the best ingredients in the making of their ice cream, from their base of milk, cream, and sugar with a high butterfat content, and then adding flavorings such as real vanilla extract, fresh fruit, real chocolate chips, and even real pistachios!
Sundae School is cash only, so be prepared.
Sundae School has locations at 606 Route 28 in Harwichport, 381 Lower County Road in Dennisport, and 210 Main Street in East Orleans. For Harwichport, call 508-430-2444. For Dennisport, call 508-394-9122. For East Orleans, call 508-255-5473.
3. The Ice Cream Smuggler, Dennis: Another Cape Cod establishment known for its great ice cream is the Ice Cream Smuggler which celebrated its 35th season this year.
With homemade flavors that are melt-in-your-mouth good, the Smuggler is worth a visit. They also offer unique ice cream cakes and fudge bottom pies that are perfect for family celebrations. Although they generally have some available in their case, if you want a specific flavor, you will need to order with 2 days advance notice.
The Smuggler is cash only, so come prepared.
The Smuggler is located at 716 Route 6A in Dennis, 508-385-5307.
4. Ben and Bill’s, Falmouth & Oak Bluffs: Although they are not exclusive to the Cape and Islands (Ben and Bill’s has locations in Bar Harbor, Maine and Northampton, MA), they are a wonderful stop. Serving up tasty homemade ice cream is not the only thing that these stores provide – they also have a wide selection of fantastic homemade candies.
The Falmouth Store is located at 209 Main Street in Falmouth. Their number is 508-548-7878. The Oak Bluffs Store is located at 20A Circuit Avenue in Oak Bluffs. Their number is 508-696-0008.
5. Katie’s Ice Cream, Hyannis: Since opening in 2002, Katie’s has been serving up their homemade ice cream (made with the finest ingredients in small batches, daily) to eager vacationers and locals alike. Their ice cream is super creamy and delicious and a stop by their shop is sure to be a highlight in your day!
Katie’s is located at 570 Main Street in Hyannis, 508-771-6889.
6. Four Seas Ice Cream, Centerville: Now open year-round (WOW!), Four Seas has been serving up great homemade ice cream to the Cape since 1934. While they make all sorts of familiar favorites, they also have plenty of unique flavors, such as cantaloupe and frozen pudding.
Four Seas is located at 360 South Main Street in Centerville. Their phone number is 508-775-1394.
7. Cape Cod Creamery, Yarmouth & Hyannis: Cape Cod Creamery serves up dense ice cream that is less airy, making for a more flavorful treat. Although they are a relative new comer to the ice cream scene on Cape Cod (opened in 2005), Cape Cod Creamery is certainly popular.
Cape Cod Creamery is located at 645 Route 132 in Hyannis and 1199 Route 28 in Yarmouth. The Hyannis number is 508-568-3600 and the Yarmouth number is 508-398-8400.
8. Ice Cream Sandwich, Sandwich: Since 1982, the Ice Cream Sandwich has been serving up homemade ice cream (made on the premises) to the joy of the public. They also make superb homemade whipped cream. They also have 11 flavors of softserve if that is what floats your boat.
The Ice Cream Sandwich also has homemade waffle cones. For the diet conscious, they serve Gise, a natural soft serve product that has only 40 calories per serving. Gise is made from sweet milk whey with the milk solids and milk sugars removed.
The Ice Cream Sandwich is located at 66 Route 6A in Sandwich, 508-888-7237.